Tuesday, January 22, 2008

First full day together










Joshua is getting more comfortable with us. He is moving beyond being focused on his basic needs of safety, food and shelter and his personality is starting to come through more now. The first night it took both of us to get his bath done, and last night he was fine with Wendy and played in the sink. He won't know what to do when he sees all the bath toys to play with at home.

We went out to one of the night markets and got some dinner. Other than the socializing that you can do at the market I wasn't that impressed with the level of quality of the stuff. The kid stuff we are looking for was basically dollar store quality stuff. We did find a nice set of bookend figures for a good price. Josh was born in the year of the dog and the figures are nice stylized Chinese dogs. We have also figured out or plan to buy him gifts from here for each of his birthdays till he is 18 is going to be a challenge. You can think of lots of shiny things for girls - like we did for Amber - but not so many things for boys.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWWWWWWW!!!! :D I'm gonna say it again. HE IS ADORABLE!!!!!!!

Aunt Rinda said...

Princess Amber is waiting for Prince Joshua to come home. (How can I send you the picture?)

vfatch said...

Hi, Kids! He is so darn cute, what a doll! I sort of thought he would be quite thin but he looks great. I'm trying to think of boy gifts, how about some nice cuff links and can you travel with a knife? He could have some sort of necklace, probably not what you call it when it's for a boy, but you know what I mean. Can you ask someone if there are traditional gifts for boys/young men at certain ages? Also traditional games played in his country and books are good. How about a costume that a boy might wear for a special occasion, like the spring festival or the new year? I'm reaching here, if I think of something good, I'll write again. Be sure to bring home coins, he will love seeing them when he's older. If the bank has uncirculated sets, like they do here, that would be really cool. Don't give up, talk to people and go on treasure hunts. Good luck. Love, Grandma Val, Deb, and Sophie

vfatch said...

Dragons, Dad, get stuff with dragons on it, boys love that crap!:):)

Unknown said...

I guess my first response didn't make it to you. He is sooo cute in the sink. So glad you are all bonding so well or at least it looks like you are!! We are in Georgia until the end of the week and I can't always get on line to check you out but when I do you never disappoint me. Have totally enjoyed the comments. Can't wait until you get back home. Enjoy your fun times.
Love to all,
Aunt marilyn

Anonymous said...

Well I agree the prince & princess, will make beautiful brother & sister, kids they will be so much fun, enjoy them while there little, they grow so fast.jeff is the cost of living high over there ? please take lots of pitchers, I would like to know more of his heritage. Josh I want you to know, we are ancious to hold an love you to pieces. love mom

Ann said...

Hi Jeff, Wendy, and Joshua
I have so enjoyed keeping up with you via the blog! I've been checking the blog twice a day to see your progress. It looks like everything is going so great! We are so happy for you and your family. We can't wait to meet Joshua! See you soon!
Ann